Originally settled in the 1790s by French-Canadian and Irish families, Rivière-au-Renard is located on the banks of a large open bay on the Gulf of Saint Lawrence at the eastern end of the Gaspé Peninsula. The town was originally populated by immigrants from Ireland, mostly those who remained in the area following the sinking of the one of immigrant ships, the Carricks of Whitehaven, which went down off Cap-des-Rosiers in 1847. Of the 187 passengers on board, 87 perished at sea and 100 survivors were taken in by families in the village.
We stopped in Rivière-au-Renard to visit the marine supplies story, the only one in the area. Unfortunately, the store was closed today and we will have to wait until tomorrow for shopping. In our free time, we worked on the boat, filled up with diesel and water, performed CTD cast in the marina, did some grocery shopping and laundry, and explored the area using our folding bikes.